The Hinterhof space in Highland Park isn’t staying closed for long. The all-vegan German beer garden with the wide open patio will instead turn into an all-vegan sports bar this month, operating under the name Put Me In Coach. The restaurant is the latest project by Jason Eisner from nearby Block Party, and his partners Josh Beane, Janelle Hu, and Brennan Woo from Party Beer Co. in West Adams, among others.
Per Eisner, the new Put Me In Coach will carry the usual array of Dodger, Lakers, and LAFC games, as well as replays of vintage sporting events and sports movies. As for the food served on the wide patio and inside, expect everything from vegan Mexican food — the restaurant is being helmed by chef Richard Chang of Wolfie’s and formerly the Tacos La Tehuanita food truck — to Korean dishes, staple sports bar food like faux meat wings, pizzas, and more. A full opening is expected on June 15.
In other news:
- A restaurant serving hand-rolled bagels and New York-style pizza, appropriately called Bagel and Slice, is opening soon at 4751 York in Highland Park.
- Because of California’s high vaccination rates and low coronavirus numbers, sites like the Hollywood Bowl are rethinking (again) their summer plans. Now the famed music venue will open completely, meaning all 18,000 seats filled for evening events, says the NY Times.
- Southern California-based Islands Restaurants, which first opened on Pico Boulevard nearly four decades ago, is said to be ‘cleaning up’ its menu. Per FSR Magazine, that means moving way from meats with antibiotics and growth hormones, nitrites and nitrates, and more.
- Reservations are available now for the new Delilah at the Wynn in Las Vegas. Per Eater Las Vegas, former Bardot Brasserie chef Joshua Smith is on to run the kitchen.
- Alfred Coffee is opening soon at the Malibu Country Mart, says Toddrickallen, noting that the deal is happening even though (as of last week) no signage was yet up at 3835 Cross Creek Road.
- Side Pie quietly opened at 900 E. Altadena Drive in Altadena over the holiday weekend, turning out wood-fired pizzas.