A new outdoor sushi restaurant called Mokuzai is popping up at an intimate, lantern-filled private park in Hollywood. Chef Te Dong does an innovative take on sushi with ingredients like truffles and chimuchurri using seasonal produce. Dishes include salmon with dashi ukura, red onion, and truffle dressing to a lightly seared jumbo scallop with pink salt, yuzu kosho, and more of that truffle dressing. The park occupies a space nearby the corner of Franklin and Cahuenga where Madera Kitchen operates. Mokuzai opens on June 24, with service from 6 to 11 p.m. It’s unclear how long the pop-up with go but with warm weather through the summer, expect it to last at least a couple of months. Get more intel here.
Update: Eater has been notified that Mokuzai and its operators may not have had the proper permitting to operate the pop-up on this space. Eater reached out to the operators for comment but has not heard back yet.
In other news:
- Langer’s Deli is reopening its dining room after 16 months of closure as part of the statewide reopening tomorrow. Beginning at 8 a.m., Langer’s will once again serve indoors in person, and it all starts with a ribbon cutting with city attorney Mike Feuer, police chief Michael Moore, and other elected officials.
- Phillippe the Original is also reopening with full pre-pandemic operating hours as of today, with service from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Don’t skip the donuts.
- Finally, famed Japanese kaiseki restaurant Hayato is fully reopening on June 16 with 14 courses prepared by chef Brandon Go. Book a coveted reservation here.
- The LA Times talks to restaurant owners who seem cautiously optimistic about reopening.
- L.A. Taco has a featurette on three tienditas that are struggling to stay open in East Hollywood amid neighborhood gentrification.
- What Now LA says a new beer and coffee spot is coming to Silver Lake called Makisupa from owner Richard Ottaviano. The space will open along Rowena Avenue.
- Redbird is contributing all proceeds from each key lime pie dessert they sell from June 16 to 20 to Black Lives Matter LA, Suprmarkt, and Redbird’s C-Cap LA scholarship for BIPOC students.
- Bartender Josh Goldman, who was previously a partner with Julian Cox at Soigne LA and was also the sommelier at Ink with Michael Voltaggio, is joining the bar team at Echo Park’s Bar Caló.
- The Park’s finest is collaborating with Danny Trejo to serve the Historic Filipinotown’s famous coconut beef in taco form with salsa verde slaw and amarilla califas chile at Trejo’s restaurants throughout this month: