Court Cafe, from “foodminati” members Jermelle Henderson of Taco Mell and Calvin Johnson of Bleu Kitchen, has reopened its daily brunch restaurant Court Cafe, serving breakfast and lunch inspired by their upbringing in South LA. The Westchester restaurant had been closed for well over a year, but are now ready to bring their lobster and waffles, seafood and grits, and other Instagram-worthy dishes to the masses, eventually hoping to expand the place into numerous locations. Court Cafe originally opened in July 2019 with long waits and passionate fans. Hours are now Tuesday to Sunday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In other news:
- ABC-7 news reports LA County’s COVID-19 cases has risen 165 percent in the past week, driven mainly by the highly contagious delta variant, which accounts for about half the current case count. That brings the total number of new cases to 839 across the county, much less than the many thousands that were reported weekly during the winter 2020-2021 surge. The health department recently recommended wearing masks inside regardless of vaccination status. As of July 8, about 60 percent of residents over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated.
- Though Seattle chef Renee Erickson had to close her donut shop in Pacific Palisades after a short run, the James Beard Award-winning restaurateur is coming to Eszett for one night on July 18. [Resy]
- Two Wings Chicken is back at their regular South LA location (inside a church), serving from 4 to 10 p.m. from Thursday to Sunday. There’s even a promo code for 10 percent off.
- Strand House in Manhattan Beach has a new chef and menu with a familiar name. Craig Hopson, who was most recently chef at Farmhouse in LA, but also worked at Le Cirque and one if by Land and Two if by Sea in New York City, has implemented a new California menu at the upscale ocean view restaurant, according to Patch.
- Standing Butchery is doing a burger pop-up at Domaine LA along Melrose Avenue on Sunday, July 11, pairing wine and burgers from 1 to 4 p.m.