Fairfax’s busy new Yojimbo is ready to take the next step forward. Beginning September 7, the Japanese restaurant in the former Golden State space will open for on-site indoor dining. Far removed from the building’s former gastropub look (which lasted 12 good years), the new Yojimbo offers a pared-down, light wood and brick aesthetic with two long bar-height railings running across the length of the dining room.
To go along with the formal opening — the restaurant has been doing limited takeout service from a window until now — chefs Keisuke Akabori (Spago) and Chris Ono (Eleven Madison Park, Providence) are expanding Yojimbo’s menu to include a full slate of Japanese bowls (think chicken teriyaki, braised beef, and more) as well as kaisen boxes, wings, salads, and more. Hours run 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday.
In other news:
- The Los Angeles Times has details on Silver Lake’s new Ceci’s Gastronomia, the small mostly takeaway business on Sunset in front of the former Tintorera. The tiny Italian shop run by chef Francesco Lucatorto (Angelini Osteria, Otium) and partner Francesca Pistorio turns out foods based on grandma recipes from across Italy.
- Ludo Lefebvre is almost ready to open his next restaurant — in Denver, Colorado. The upcoming Chez Maggy is located at the Thompson hotel and will feature a mix of French brasserie staples and Denver-focused options (like the city’s namesake omelet). This is the first out-of-town project for Ludo, and is named after his wife Krissy’s stepmother, who was killed in a drunk driving incident a couple of years ago.
- Imari is opening today in the West Los Angeles/Brentwood area. The Philip Camino (Fellow Westwood) project is being run day-to-day by former star New York City chef Derek Wilcox (Shoji NYC), with David Schlosser of Shibumi on to consult as well. Full-service dining begins tonight at 13050 San Vicente Blvd., with hours from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday.
- Honeybee is now open on La Brea for vegan burgers and other fare (including Nowadays’ faux-chicken nuggets), and the growing group has plans to add a Venice location as well, per What Now LA.
- Menotti’s Coffee legend (and former latte art world champion) Nicely Abel has been struggling to pay mounting hospital bills in recent months, so the Go Get Em Tiger team is offering a special Spanish Latte with condensed milk and cinnamon as a way to help Nicely out. Each $6 latte sale means $4 going to a fund to help Nicely pay his bills. The drink special runs through this Sunday.
- Like everyone else, Goldburger is looking to hire a few more staff members. In this case, it’s to help open the company’s new Los Feliz shop, which should be otherwise ready to go.