Hollywood Burger’s long-awaited West Hollywood location is now open. The prominent Hollywood Boulevard casual comfort food spot, situated directly across from the Pantages Theatre, has expanded west after more than two years of waiting, bringing with it the same menu of burgers, hot dogs, tots, and breakfast items from burritos on down. Much like the original, this newcomer keeps all-day hours (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) and even has its own patio upfront, right along the main West Hollywood drag. Hollywood Burger replaces the former tenant at 8807 Santa Monica Boulevard, George’s Greek Grill.
In other news:
- El Carmen is celebrating Mexican Independence Day this week with mariachis, tacos, and lots of margaritas. Check out the West Third Street staple from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. on September 16.
- As it turns out, the Bangin’ Buns expansion plan of late is being financed by none other than Ike’s Sandwiches. The partnership plan means more than a dozen total locations throughout California and Arizona by the end of next year.
- The latest La Morra collaboration is here, and boy is it a doozy. The popular pizza makers have partnered with Italian sandwich specialists Ggiata to swap recipes (Ggiata turns a popular La Morra pizza into a sandwich, and La Morra makes a pizza out of one of Ggiata’s menu items) for a while, and to seal the deal both parties will be involved in a street festival at the Ggiata location at Melrose and Western this weekend. Details below.
- Hyde Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails is reopening after a long hiatus, reports LA Weekly, with plans to unveil a new look, menu, and drinks from Yael Vengroff on September 17.
- Orange County barbecue restaurant Wholly Smokes in La Palma is facing eviction, reports Fox 11, as part of an ongoing dispute with its landlord amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Chef Wes Avila has started doing dinner service on Friday and Saturday nights at his Chinatown shop Angry Egret Dinette. He’s also back to making tacos on the regular, as part of a new rotating menu running every Thursday.
- The Platform pop-up food series continues in Culver City this month, with food from VZLA Arepas, Naemo, and Flatpoint Barbecue running across the rest of September.