Stylish, retro-designed Café Landwer, a coffee brand that originated in Berlin in 1919, has opened a location inside Century City’s Westfield Mall as of yesterday. Moshe Landwer originally started the brand after opening a shop in Berlin, then moving the family to Tel Aviv in 1933 during the rise of the Nazi party in Germany. Eventually, Landwer created Israel’s first-ever coffee brewing company, opening a factory in 1964 to supply the increasing demand. In 2004, co-founder Nir Caspi and two others co-founders approached the company to acquire the name and establish a coffee shop that would eventually expand throughout Israel. In 2018, the company began opening locations in North America, beginning in the Boston area and then Toronto.
This Los Angeles outlet is the first on the West Coast for Café Landwer, and the place has an extensive brunch and dinner menu with mostly Mediterranean influences. Think shakshuka, falafel, avocado toast, and chicken shawarma for brunch, and salads, veal schnitzel, hummus bowls, and beef kebabs for dinner — all at fairly reasonably everyday prices. The all-day restaurant has coffees (naturally), cocktails, and desserts as well to power busy mall shoppers and Century City denizens. Hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
In other news:
- Greenblatt’s Deli closed last month without much fanfare, and a long-time patron has written a heartfelt goodbye to the longtime West Hollywood institution in Wehoville.
- Comfort food restaurant The Kroft is opening in Chinatown inside the Jia Apartments complex, bringing poutines, sandwiches, and craft beer to the neighborhood, reports What Now LA.
- Breadblok is expanding to Beverly Hills inside the former Yojisan Sushi, says Toddrickallen. The organic, gluten-free bakery opened a storefront on Santa Monica’s Montana Avenue a year and a half ago.
- Toddrickallen also says Angelini Osteria, a longtime favorite Italian restaurant along Beverly Boulevard, is opening an outlet in Pacific Palisades with Angelini Ristorante and Bar, looking to open by winter 2021.
- Wise Sons has announced their High Holidays menu with special Yom Kippur menus for September 15 and 16. Order here.
- Yakumi in Burbank has a new weekday happy hour from 3 to 6 p.m.: